Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cell Phone Nightmare

For the last 6 or so years that I've owned a cell phone I have had relatively no problems. I've made up for all that in the last 3 weeks. About a month ago I bought my first "nice" cell phone, a motorola razr, after my phone was stolen. Less than 2 weeks later I dropped the razr in the toilet. Even though I tried my best to dry it off, it was beyond help and ended up trashed. Luckily, I thought, I had gotten the cell phone insurance since my last phone had been stolen and I didn't have insurance to replace it. So I call the insurance company, Asurion, and was told that since I had damaged it I would have to pay a $70 fee to replace the phone. I felt a little hesitant, but agreed. The next day the phone arrived and at first glance I knew I'd gotten a shady deal. The box it came in was not original packaging and the phone had a slightly worn look. The next day the screen was blacking out and within 3 days I the screen went completely black and was dropping calls. So I went online to do the research I should have done before agreeing to the replacement and found out that Asurion uses refurbished, formerly damaged and repaired phones as replacements. I was pissed. I called them and asked if I could get a refund. They agreed. But, I was still going to be phoneless. I started looking on ebay for a new phone. I found a phone advertised as "new, in box," ordered it, got it, charged it, and the next day went to use it to find out it is even more fucked than the previous, refurbished phone. There was a high pitched ringing while on a call (which gave me a headache) and the camera didn't work. I tried the master reset which did nothing. So...today I wake up to find the battery is already dead after less than 24 hours. I contacted the seller again and am waiting to hear back. I guess I should get to the point of this post. 1. DO NOT GET CELL PHONE INSURANCE, IT'S A SCAM. 2. DO NOT BUY A PHONE OFF EBAY, JUST SUCK IT UP AND SPEND THE EXTRA 20 BUCKS AND BUY IT FROM A RETAIL STORE. At least if it fucks up you can take return it to the story easily, without hassle. Lesson learned.

No comments: